Wednesday, October 14, 2009

#603.


My Favourite AND Most Disastrous Cooking Experience!



The preparation of ingredients is always the easiest of all. But i never expected the baking of donuts to be SO tough, compared to my usual cookie baking.
This was the very first time i tried to bake donuts.


These cutters were used to allow me to make my donuts look better! I like the heart shape ones the best!, but in the end i used the round ones which my neighbour lent me later that day.



First i referred to my book of recipes to make sure that i put in the correct ingredients at the right time...



Since i wasn't sure and it SEEMED wrong, i then asked my auntie for assistance. But it didn't help me much, it still looked wrong...


So I called for help! I called my mother for help, but she couldn't help me much too!



I then decided to just mix them together and see if it would work out,



And squeeze it and pound it, (by the way, the recipe says that i should use a machine mixer.)



SERIOUSLY CANNOT MAKE IT! I then ran to my neighbour's house to ask for help!
Auntie came over and told me,"You need to add some milk!"
No idea why my recipe had no mention about milk, but i still got the milk at the nearest minimart.



After adding milk, granny helped me to heat up the oil while i prepared the chocolate glaze with chocolate powder and icing sugar.



After mixing them together, I double-boiled the whole mixture so that i could melt them. Meanwhile, i deep fried the dough. The dough looked big in the pan while it was fried, but when i took it out, it shrunk! but by the time the freshly fried donuts cooled down, my chocolate mixture hardened!



Demoralised and tired, i didn't want to re-boil it again.
So i decided to just use the remaining icing sugar to put on the donuts.


And...
TADAAA!

It doesn't look so bad right?
The end result looked 'not-bad', it made me feel that the day spent was well worth it.


Hence this may be my most disastrous cooking experience because this was the first time i baked something new without my mother's guidance, and i made many mistakes along the way.
But this is also my favourite cooking experience, because it was something new which i have never tried before, and i have learnt alot of lessons from this experience which have taught me to be independent.


(Image link:http://www.nuffnang.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/julie_julia_338x178-Final-150x150.gif)

Watch the trailer at
http://www.sonypictures.net/movies/julieandjulia/